February 14, 2015

I Wrote A Story and Happy Valentine's Day!

So, it's a special day today. Or so I've heard. I'm not bitter. Nope, not at all. What gives you the idea? I mean, it's Valentine's Day for crying out loud. It's the one day where male species spend on chocolates, flowers and stuffed toys and give it to their significant other. Happens every year. No big deal really.

But here's a bigger deal.

I wrote a story. I haven't written one in ages! It's called 120KPH and I wrote this last month while I was at school and I was crushing on someone. You'll know who in the story. Disclaimer: This is fictional.

(Image made by yours truly!)





Everywhere else is full. The library, the cafeteria, the reading areas, the pavilion, even the hallways of buildings are buzzing with students and professors alike. I have no idea why but they're all over the place. There was only one building I haven't gone inside, mainly because it was full of really good looking people, even more good looking that communication majors like myself. I went straight towards the tourism management and hotel and restaurant management building where a hole in the wall cafe is located. I remembered a friend of mine telling me that the coffee served here is cheap and really good.

I was greeted by a cold gust of air and chills went down my spine. It was that cold. Thank the heavens there were only a handful of people who were inside, most of whom were students in their black cafe uniform and prescribed tourism management uniform. I looked down and I stood out like a sore thumb with my green skirt and white blouse with a blue and yellow patch.

Normally, I would sit in the corner far from everyone else but the corner table is directly under the air conditioning unit, so no thanks.

"You can sit over here." A manly voice said I looked up. I was met with a guy wearing the black cafe uniform underneath a black hoodie. His hair was sticking out in different directions as if he just rolled out of bed and his ears were quite big but really cute. He was pointing at the table near the counter, away from the Arctic air conditioning unit.

He sauntered over the table and pulled out a chair for me. I stood rooted on the spot for about ten seconds before my feet moved towards the table and sat down. He gets cuter every minute. "If you're ready to order, just head on over to the counter." He gave a heart-melting smile and went back to work.

I, on the other hand, am in shock. Never in the twenty years existence of my life has a cute guy like him pull out my chair. Or even notice me. Period. I waited for like twenty minutes before I went over to the counter. He was tapping something away on his iPad before he looked up and smiled at me. He has got to stop smiling or else, I'll be a puddle.

"I'd like a hot, grande, cafe mocha." I managed to stammer as I handed out my money to him. Our hands brushed and there were fireworks everywhere.

"What name should I put on the cup?" He grabbed a cup and plucked a Sharpie from his hoodie. I spelled out my name and thankfully, he got it right. "Would you like anything else?"

Yeah, your number.

"Nope, that's all." I replied and went back to my table. I pulled out my iPad from my bag and plugged in my earphones. I wasn't really playing anything. I just put the earphones so that people would know I'm busy even if I'm not.

Three minutes later, a steaming cup of cafe mocha landed on my table served by him. I didn't look up because I'm pretty sure I'm as red as the red velvet cake. I was supposed to finish To Kill A Mockingbird for my Creative Writing class. I'm halfway through to be honest but somehow I can't concentrate on reading with him constantly looking at me. How do I know? I looked up and there he was over the counter watching me.

The caffeine mixed with chocolate helped me calm my nerves. My friend is right. The coffee is really good. I picked up the napkin to wipe my mouth when I noticed something written on it.

I'd really want to get to know you. I hope you won't mind.

OH. MY. GOD.

I quickly put away his message in my pocket and resumed reading. There are a bunch of things going through my head. One, in particular, is what the hell am I going to say to him. Two, why me? I looked around and there were a group of girls better looking than I am inside this nice, little cafe. I don't get it.

Halfway through my cup, he slipped a piece of paper on my table as he passed by to deliver an order to the other table. I picked it up and read it when he was busy at the counter.

I don't know if you even remember or noticed, but I sat behind you in our World Literature class. I was the odd one out, seeing as I'm not a communication major like you are. I've admired you then. You were always the top student in our class yet you feel shy when others would praise you. When I step inside the library, you're always at the corner table by the window. You have this habit of chewing your lip when we would have recitations during our Literature class. So far those are the things I noticed about you. Small things that remind me of you, the girl who wouldn't leave my mind and made my heart race 120 kilometers per hour. I hope you give me a chance to get to know you and for you to know me as well.

My heart was racing 120 kilometers per hour. He was my classmate! Was I that caught up in my own, weird world that I didn't notice him at all? My subconscious single soul is telling me to just accept the fact that someone likes me.

I've always lived with a low self-esteem and insecurities. It would take a while to get past that. But reading his words made me forget about it. His beautiful words about me were simple and pure.

Carpe diem it is then.

I finished by drink and put all of my things in my bag. I exhaled and stood up and walked to the counter. He was leaning against it with his head bent down as if he were praying.

"Hey," I said.

It took three seconds before he looked up and smiled at me. "Hey you."

For the first time in my life, I never felt so happy.

***

That is the end of my story. I'd love to know what you think about it! Happy Valentine's Day!


2 comments:

  1. AWWWW! This story made me smile! I mean that final "Hey you":D And the note he left is so sweet- if I got that I'd probably faint of joy;) I feel like going to a cafe now- one with a cute guy working there preferably...:P If your crush inspired this, he must be really wonderful:)
    Lovely story- it's hard to get into writing again but I see you're back and amazing at it!
    Happy Belated Valentines Day!
    Maya @ anotheronceuponatime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment, Maya! I'm quite thankful that my crush is around even if he doesn't know who I am. He's my current source of inspiration to write cheesy stories. :)

      Delete