May 19, 2014

Wicked Review: We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han


Published: April 1, 2011
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Series: The Summer I Turned Pretty #3
Acquired: Paperback

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8680278-we-ll-always-have-summer?ac=1




It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.


In this book, Jeremiah ended up with Belly. Belly is now in college with Jeremiah, who's living the life if a fraternity brother. But just when you thought that things will go right, well you thought wrong.


This type of drama is nothing I'm not familiar with. Belly didn't talk to Jeremiah for weeks. But when she let him in again, he proposed!


I did not expect that! AT ALL! And what's more, Belly said yes! I don't know whether to be happy or sad or what. This brought me to edge with all the pent up feelings. It was very impulsive. Well, they're still teenagers.

I could feel Belly's heartache when her mother declined to give them her blessing to get married. I understand where Laurel is coming from. She just wants what's best for her only daughter. I cried when Laurel showed up at her bridal shower. Nothing could even make a bride to be but her mother.

I was surprised to see a few chapters with Conrad's point of view. I could see that he really loves Belly. He's not manning up though. The tension between Belly and Conrad is just too much I just Conrad to just tell Belly that he loves her.

But then he did! He finally confessed to Belly!


He called out, "I still love you."
I froze. And then slowly, I turned around to look at him. "Don't say that."

The timing was so screwed up! Belly was getting married the next day and Conrad chose that moment to  confess to her. Jeremiah disappeared the following morning as soon as he found out about what happened between Conrad and Belly.

I have to give it to Jeremiah. He put up a fight. He'll always be Belly's best guy friend and Conrad's younger brother. He'll always be there for the two of them no matter what.

I am going to miss this series. As summer in the Philippines continues, I will always remember Belly, Conrad and Jeremiah. They are the ones I happily spent my summer with in my imaginary image of Cousins Beach.




Jenny Han was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia. She went to college at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and she went to graduate school at the New School in New York City, where she received her MFA in Writing for Children. She lives in Brooklyn.

Send your love to Jenny Han here: Website || Twitter || Goodreads


Don't forget to get your books signed on June 21~

No comments:

Post a Comment