May 31, 2014

Wicked Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


Published: April 2009
Publisher: Speak
Acquired: Digital copy





Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.

I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.

Stay, he says.


Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heartachingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make.


This book blew me away. Just. I don't even know where to start. When I got to the part where Mia 'woke up', I was reminded of the movie, The Lovely Bones, mainly because the point of view is from someone who experienced death or something similar to it.

But the similarities end there. Mia is very gentle and very endearing. I honestly don't know what it is about her that made my heart just reach out to her. Seventeen is probably one of the hardest ages anyone has to go through. Mia has the golden ticket to Julliard, the premiere school for all aspiring classical musicians. And she has to move away from her home and from her first love, Adam.

The moment I got to the accident, I cried. It was unfair! I mean, there she was going on a trip with her family and then they're all gone. *insert ugly and loud crying*

Her physical body is lying down while her 'soul' is wandering around the hospital. She is revisiting her memories with her family. How her parents are laughing that she's a classical musician and they're rock star hippies. Her parents are the happiest and wisest parents on earth.

Then there's Adam. Whilst Mia is working her way to make a name for herself in the classical music industry, Adam is the rock star heartthrob. I didn't swoon at him while reading it till I got to the end. Their relationship is anything but flowers and hearts. Theirs was honest and just beautiful.

I can't say anymore about this book except that this is definitely a must read. Life, death, love and decisions all rolled into one.




Gayle Forman is an award-winning author and journalist whose articles have appeared in such publications as Jane, Seventeen, Glamour, Elle, and The New York Times Magazine, to name just a few. She lives in New York City with her husband and daughter. She is the author of Where She Went, the sequel of If I Stay, Just One Day, Just One Year and the soon to be published Just One Night. 

Send your love to Gayle Forman here: Twitter || Goodreads || Website || Facebook 


IF I STAY TRAILER

Yes, If I Stay is gonna be a movie and it will be shown in theaters on August 22. Check out the trailer and the official poster below!




1 comment:

  1. First off I am so upset that I haven't read this yet. I've had it on my TBR shelf for like forever. Thanks so much for checking out my STS. I followed you here on GFC. It was so fun talking to you on Twitter yesterday! Can't wait to do it again :)

    ReplyDelete