April 12, 2014

Wicked Review: Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins


Published: July 9, 2013
Publisher: Speak
Acquired: Paperback

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9961796-lola-and-the-boy-next-door?from_search=true



Lola Nolan has everything she wants. She has amazing parents, she has a job, a great best friend  and she has a hot rocker boyfriend. Until one day, her neighbors the Bell family, moves back to their neighborhood.

You see, Lola had feelings for Cricket Bell, the tall inventor with a figure skater twin. Lola couldn't believe her eyes that she's seeing him again. And that after all these years, Cricket has feelings for her too.

If this happened two years ago, then things would've been different. But it's not. She has to choose obviously.





Okay, I suck at writing a synopsis. Like. I really suck at it. It's one of the things I'm not good at and will never be good at.

So onto the review. This is the second book after Anna and the French Kiss. You'll still see Anna and St. Clair in this book though minimal.

This book tugs on the heartstrings though. It's cliche. Boy next door sees girl. Girl still likes boy next door but she has a boyfriend. I'll never get tired of reading books like these. Once in a while.

I'm pretty sure we have been in Cricket's or Lola's shoes once or twice in our lifetime. I can say I have. And boy, have I been there countless of times. It ain't pretty.

But here's the thing. It's d-move to have the hots for someone you liked for a long time and likes you back as well and then date someone else. It's very frustrating to see. Especially on the side of the other person. I was heartbroken with Cricket. The way his pining for her. He's in college and he's goes home during his free time just to see Lola even if he has something important to do.


One thing my mother said about relationships is finding someone who cares about your family and his family as well. Family oriented. Max is neither! He's such a total d-bag behind Lola's parents. It totally pissed me off.


When Lola breaks up with him, she cried. I was half girl-I-want-to-hug-you-you-do-not-deserve-this and half don't-waste-your-tears-girl-you-shouldn't-have-dated-him-in-the-first-place.

All is good in the last part, like any good love story. It ends with a school dance.


"So do you believe in second chances?" I bite my lip.
"Second, third, fourth. Whatever it takes. However long it takes. If the person is right," he adds.
"If the person is...Lola?"
This time he holds my gaze. "Only if the other person is Cricket."



Stephanie Perkins is the author of Anna and The French Kiss, Lola and The Boy Next Door and the upcoming Isla and The Happily Ever After. She was born in South Carolina, raised in Arizona, went to school in Atlanta and San Francisco and currently lives in Asheville, North Carolina with her husband, Jarrod.



No comments:

Post a Comment