April 17, 2014

Wicked Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu


Published: January 29, 2013
Publisher: Putnam Juvenille
Series: Legend #2
Acquired: Digital copy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13414446-prodigy?from_search=true




It's been seven days since June Iparis and Day escaped Los Angeles. They find themselves in Las Vegas where the Patriots are. Headed by Razor, leader of the Patriots disguised as a commander for the Republic, he takes in June and Day and suggests that they join the Patriots in exchange for curing Day of his injuries. The Patriots is a secret group living under the guise of Republic military soldiers that is funded by the Colonies.

News travel all over the Republic that the Elector Primo is dead and his son Anden is the new Elector Primo. Under the Patriots, June and Day pledge their allegiance to them and in exchange for their safety, they must participate with the Patriot's plan: assassinate the Elector Primo.





Marie Lu never disappoints. This book is very action packed that I was left shaking after I read this and I'm still shaking as I'm typing this review. Marie Lu introduces Anden as this guy/boy/dude/man who dreams of a new Republic whilst under scrutiny of the Congress, composed of old people who think that Anden hasn't got anything to prove seeing as he is so young to be in such a powerful position.

The thing about dystopian trilogy is that never fail to bring us into a world that is unimaginable. As I wrote on the Legend review, I could never imagine the United States of America being split into two. But then, whilst reading Prodigy, I sort of think that this plot could translate in real life. Maybe in thirty years. Or not. But I could see this happening.



Another thing is build up. The climaxes are right smack dab knocking our breaths. It's like I'm running while reading. I'm sure fans can agree with me on this one. It's fast paced and action packed.

June improved a lot. She's more perceptive-for lack of a better word-of the Republic and it's secrets. And more so of the secrets of the Patriots. Her feelings for Day grow but she has barely enough time to express them as they are torn apart in the middle of the book. And then Anden, expresses a liking to her which makes her confused whether she could trust him or not. She uses her head rather than acting on her emotions. Which is what I love about her. She's logical and compassionate. And by logical, I mean, she handled this one situation quite well.
Day pulls me close enough for our noses to touch. "I love you."
My heart flips in excitement at the desire in his voice-but at the same time, the technical part of my brain instantly flares up. Highly improbable, it scoffs. A month ago, he didn't even know I existed. So I blurted out, "No, you don't. Not yet."


And it's more angst-y. Because the spotlight is suddenly put on Tess and Day. Oh, Day~

"What's the matter with you?" At my silence, she puts her hand on my arm. "Well, do you love her?" she says more quietly. "Does she love you?"
Love her? I'd told her so in that Vegas bathroom and I'd meant it. But she didn't say it back, yeah? Maybe she never felt the same way-maybe I'm just deluding myself. "I don't know, okay?" I reply.


And there's the ending...

He is beauty, inside and out.
He is the silver lining in a world of darkness.
He is my light. 


Not going to complain, though. I like the ending...NOT! No seriously, I did. I loved it so much! It awakened the well-happy-endings-suck-lets-settle-for-the-heartbreaking-ones side of me.





She writes young adult novels, and has a special love for dystopian books. She was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, she was an Art Director at a video game company. She shuffles around at home and talk to myself a lot. :)

She graduated from the University of Southern California in '06 and currently live in LA, where she spends time stuck on the freeways.



No comments:

Post a Comment